Region 8 drops Elite Team Cup roster, will look to improve on last year’s third-place finish
INDIANAPOLIS, February 4, 2022 – Region 8 will return five of six gymnasts from last year’s Elite Team Cup squad, as they look to improve on their third-place finish February 26 at Ford Center at the Star in Frisco, Texas. Region 8’s familiar faces will include Maxim Bereznev, who took fourth in the all-around competition in 2021, Jaden Blank, Alexandru Nitache, Garrett Schooley and Danilo Viciana.
In total, eight athletes will travel to the event though only six will compete. The full Region 8 provisional roster is listed alphabetically below.
- Maxim Bereznev, Woodstock, Ga./Roswell Gymnastics
- Jaden Blank, Lakewood Ranch, Fla./EVO Gymnastics
- Chase Davenport-Mills, Johns Creek, Ga./Roswell Gymnastics
- Alex Karadzhov, St. Petersburg, Fla./EVO Gymnastics
- Alexandru Nitache, Knoxville, Tenn./GymTek Academy
- Garrett Schooley, Sarasota, Fla./EVO Gymnastics
- Nicholas Tarca, Knoxville, Tenn./GymTek Academy
- Danilo Viciana, Marietta, Ga./Cartersville Twisters
The Elite Team Cup features regional teams of six men’s Junior Elite athletes competing for national prominence. The event is held in conjunction with the annual Winter Cup and Nastia Liukin Cup, with top performers earning the opportunity to compete for junior apparatus titles on the final day of Winter Cup alongside their senior elite counterparts.
USA Gymnastics men’s artistic regions are determined by state as indicated below. Elite Team Cup rosters for Regions 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 9 will be announced in the coming weeks.
- Region 1 – Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada
- Region 2 – Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington
- Region 3 – Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas
- Region 4 – Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin
- Region 5 – Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio
- Region 6 – Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont
- Region 7 – Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia
- Region 8 – Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee
- Region 9 – Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, Wyoming